H3 Programme (JC2)
H3 Programme (JC2)
- The 2006 ‘A’ level curriculum introduced a set of programmes at Higher 3 (H3) level to cater to the learning interests of the top 10% to 15% of the ‘A’ level cohort who have exceptional interest and aptitude in a particular subject. The intention is to provide them with opportunities to pursue their passions and stretch themselves.
- The H3 programme builds on the knowledge and skills taught at Higher 2 (H2) level but in a more specialised area. Students who wish to offer a programme at H3 level would have to offer the corresponding subject at H2 level. With this approach, students would acquire the foundational knowledge needed for an H3 programme.
MOE-CAMBRIDGE AND MOE PARTNER H3 PROGRAMMES
- Table 1 below shows the MOE-CAMBRIDGE and MOE Partner H3 programmes in River Valley High School that are available for student application.
- The MOE-CAMBRIDGE H3 programme provides students with diverse learning opportunities for in-depth study. The syllabus of a H3 subject offered at ‘A’ level can be found online at the following URL: https://www.seab.gov.sg
- The H3 programmes offered by MOE Partners (such as NUS, NTU and SMU) may take the modes of an extended research essay or a university-taught course.
Table 1: MOE-Cambridge and MOE Partner H3 programmes
|MOE-Cambridge H3 programmes / Subject Code||MOE Partner H3 programmes (NTU)||MOE-Partner H3 programmes (NUS)||MOE-Partner H3 programmes (SMU)||Language Medium|
|H2 Mathematics||Mathematics / 9820||English|
|H2 Physics||H2 Physics||NTU Semiconductor Physics and Devices||English|
|H2 Chemistry||Chemistry / 9813||English|
|H2 Biology||Biology / 9816||NTU Molecular Biology||English|
|H2 Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics||NTU Nanyang Research
(started in mid 2022)
|NUS-MOE Science Research (started in mid 2022)||English|
|H2 Literature in English||Literature in English
|NUS-MOE Humanities & Social Science Research (ELit)||English|
|H2 Economics/History/Geography/Chinese Language & Literature||NUS-MOE Humanities & Social Science Research (Econs/Hist/ Geo/CLL)||SMU Game Theory
Chinese (for CLL)
|H2 Geography / History||History / 9823||NUS Geopolitics: Geographies of War and Peace||English|
ADMISSION CRITERIA AND TIMEFRAME FOR MOE PARTNER H3 PROGRAMMES
The admission criteria and timeframe for MOE Partner H3 programmes is shown in Table 2 below.
Table 2: Admission criteria and timeframe for MOE Partner H3 programmes
|MOE Partner programmes||Admission criteria||*Timeframe||URL|
|NUS-MOE Humanities & Social Science Research
|* JC or IP school teachers’ recommendation
* Quality of research proposals
* At least a ‘B’ or better in the corresponding H2 subject
|Oct (JC1) to Aug (JC2)||https://www.moe.gov.sg/education-in-sg/our-programmes/nus-moe-hssr|
|NUS-MOE Science Research||* Above-average performance in the Aptitude Test
* JC or IP school Principal’s recommendation
* Successful completion of Research Methods Module (RMM)
* Acceptance of an approved research proposal by a mentor
|Feb (JC1) to Apr (JC2)||https://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/schools-and-public-outreach/research-programmes/science-research-programme-srp/|
|NUS H3 University-taught course||* JC or IP school teachers’ recommendation||Jan to May (JC2)|
|NTU Nanyang Science Research||* JC or IP school teachers’ recommendation
* Interviews by NTU
* Successful completion of Training Seminar
* Acceptance of an approved research plan by a mentor
|April (JC1) to Apr (JC2)||https://www.ntu.edu.sg/education/talent-outreach/NRP|
|* JC or IP school teachers’ recommendation based on student’s overall performance||Jan to May (JC2)||https://www.ntu.edu.sg/education/talent-outreach/h3-taught/applications|
|* JC or IP school teachers’ recommendation based on student’s overall performance||Jan to May (JC2)|
* Timeframe is subject to changes by the relevant Universities
* Student attendance policy offered by MOE Partners.
HIGHER 3 GRADING SYSTEM
- The candidates’ grades for MOE-Cambridge and MOE Partner H3 programme will be reflected in the MOE-issued School Graduation Certificate and Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-level Certificate.
- The H3 gradings are Distinction, Merit, Pass and Ungraded.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WITHDRAWAL FROM MOE PARTNER H3 PROGRAMME
- A candidate who wishes to withdraw from H3 programmes offered by MOE Partners (i.e. NUS, NTU and SMU) must submit the withdrawal form to the School H3 coordinator.
- A common withdrawal period applies for all H3 programmes offered by MOE Partners. The withdrawal period is stipulated as follows:
|H3 university-taught courses||Within two weeks from the start of instruction (as indicated in the university’s academic calendar for the semester)|
|H3 Science research||Within two weeks after the submission of the research proposal|
|H3 HSSRP||Within two weeks from the last day of acceptance of letter of offer|
Withdrawal of students after the start of instruction:
- Students who withdraw within the withdrawal period will have to pay the $60 course fee to NUS/NTU/SMU.
Students who withdraw after the withdrawal period will have the following penalties imposed on top of the $60 course fee:
- Singapore Permanent Residents (PRs) will have to pay a $50 administrative fee to SEAB and international students will have to pay a $70 administrative fee to SEAB.
- An “Absent” grade will be reflected on the student’s GCE A-Level Certificate for the H3 subject.
MOE-CAMBRIDGE H3 SYLLABUS
Available via www.seab.gov.sg
MOE PARTNER H3 PROGRAMME INFORMATION AND APPLICATION FORMS
|MOE Partner H3 Programme||Syllabus|
|NTU||* Online Application Form|
|NUS||* Module Information
* Application Instructions
* Programme Timetable
|SMU||* Application Form|
Table 3: Application Timeline
|14 Oct 2022||Publicise H3 programmes (MOE-UCLES and MOE Partner) and open for application for 2023.
Students sign up with school’s H3 coordinator using RVHS H3 Application Form & RVHS Online H3 Application.
If applying to NUS/NTU/SMU, fill in their (online) applications as well.
|21 Oct 2022||RVHS Close applications.
H3 coordinator to process and submit all documents to NUS, NTU, SMU
|18 Nov 2022||MOE partners (NUS, NTU, SMU) offer admission letters to successful applicants through schools/JCs.|
|25 Nov 2022||Deadline for acceptance of offers for MOE Partner H3 Programme.|
|Week 2 and 3 of Jan 2023||Check with JC2 Subject Tutor successful application for MOE-Cambridge modules.|
|NUS, NTU, SMU
|Start of instruction/Start of withdrawal period for NUS, NTU, SMU Programme.|
|2 weeks after start of instruction||End of withdrawal period.|
FAQs on H3 Programme
The list of FAQs can be found here .